RE: New to List , have some questions.

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: New to List , have some questions.
From: "mfk" <mfk3@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 05:33:48 -0500
unsubscribe

MFK

-----Original Message-----
From: lvs-users-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:lvs-users-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of LVS Account
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2001 10:49 PM
To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I couldn't get the script to work so I set it up manually...

quick way to get Direct Server Return / routing working:

On the director:

ifconfig eth0:0 192.168.2.110
route add -host 192.168.2.110 netmask 255.255.255.255 broadcast
192.168.2.110 dev eth0:0
ipvsadm -A -t 172.26.20.110:80 -s wlc
ipvsadm -a -t 172.26.20.110:80 -r real.server.i.p

If you want to load balance to the director server too, add...

ipvsadm -a -t 172.26.20.110:80 -r 127.0.0.1

Then on the real servers you can just put in :

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
ipchains -A input -j REDIRECT 80 -d 172.26.20.110 80 -p tcp

Since the director is forwarding packets to a real server that doesn't have
the destination IP address defined, the ipchains command redirects that
destination IP (the VIP) to the local port.  If your web server is listening
to 0.0.0.0 then it will answer.

I've had some scalability issues doing it this way, but I think that may be
on  my testing tool and not LVS...  I'm going to try hidden interfaces next
to see if they work better... I've heard that IPCHAINS adds some latency to
connections...

I don't want to use TUN or NAT since they definately have a performance
bottleneck...

Hope this helps...

Curtis Hays