Re: Cannot ping to IP in public network

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Cannot ping to IP in public network
From: Steve <spr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:58:51 +0100
At 12:28 20/04/2001 +0800, you wrote:
        2)  I donno what went wrong,I have already done the followings, why
I still cannot ping to the public network(184.20.199.21)?This is a valid IP
when I ping from within the public network:

I have suffered from the same problem with my NAT cluster.
I run version 0.9.15 on my director with a NAT cluster with three real-servers. The cluster balances telnet and ssh connections and is used for running compute jobs. People also use the cluster as a central server for running remote netscape sessions on windows machines, and telnetting to other boxes. Standard TCP connections out to the outside work seem to work fine, you can run netscape remotely or lynx and get a connection fine. However I cannot ping machines from within the cluster. I decided just to live with it but seeing as someone else is asking I thought I would add my experiences.... My cluster works fine except for this problem.

ipchains is configured as below:

Chain input (policy ACCEPT):
Chain forward (policy DENY):
target     prot opt     source                destination           ports
MASQ       all  ------  ugnode1              anywhere              n/a
MASQ       all  ------  ugnode2              anywhere              n/a
MASQ       all  ------  ugnode3              anywhere              n/a
MASQ       icmp ------  ugnode1              anywhere              any ->   any
MASQ       icmp ------  ugnode2              anywhere              any ->   any
MASQ       icmp ------  ugnode3              anywhere              any ->   any
Chain output (policy ACCEPT):

and ipvs is configured as:

Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
  -> RemoteAddress:Port          Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
TCP  ugd:ssh wlc persistent 300
  -> ugnode3:ssh                 Masq    1      2          0
  -> ugnode2:ssh                 Masq    1      1          0
  -> ugnode1:ssh                 Masq    1      1          0
TCP  ugd:telnet wlc persistent 300
  -> ugnode3:telnet              Masq    100    3          0
  -> ugnode2:telnet              Masq    100    3          0
  -> ugnode1:telnet              Masq    100    5          1
TCP  ugd:login wlc persistent 300
  -> ugnode3:login               Masq    1      0          0
  -> ugnode2:login               Masq    1      0          0
  -> ugnode1:login               Masq    1      0          0

Steve.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets
angry, he'll be a mile away - and barefoot.