Re: debian/

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: debian/
From: Paul Baker <pbaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 11:25:14 -0500
Ard van Breemen wrote:

Hi,
I notices there has been good work on debian/,
but now for the greater:
If we move the debian/ up one directory, the package as a whole
can be deb sourced, and the result would be: ipvsadm...deb *and*
kernel-patch-<whatever>-ipvs?
It would make my live easier to make new ipvs enabled kernels that way :)
If there are no objections of haveing debian/ up one directory, I will
work on it...

In theory it sounds like a good idea, but I don't know if it will work until everything else has been better debianized. I could not for the life of me ever get the configure.pl script to work on debian (I tried both the one packaged with ipvs and the updated ones) Plus, since the ipvs patches are kernel version specific, you couldn't release the patches until debian releases their kernel packages, which only ever happens for security fixes. So there couldn't necessarily be debian packages on the LVS site because they would need to depend on the specific kernel version, which may or may not exist, unless you also put kernel source packages of your own up there and actually host a real live apt source (similar to how helixcode err i mean ximian does it) and then someone could just apt-get install ipvs and it would do everything. Which in itself would be the best thing anyway. :-) But I think a lot of the other stuff needs to be more debian friendly, specifically the configure.pl. Perhaps going so far as not even using THAT configure.pl but modifying it enough so that it runs as the postinst script of the ipvs debian package and goes through everything to configure it. It could then have dependencies on mon, fping, heartbeat, ldirectd etc etc and pretty soon debian would be the fastest and easiest platform to install LVS on. DAMN I LOVE DEBIAN! I might just have to get involved in this.

Paul J. Baker                               Internet Systems Technician
pbaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                  Where2GetIt.com
phone 847-498-0111x234
fax   847-480-7422