Re: testing iptables filter rules

To: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: testing iptables filter rules
Cc: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 07:09:21 -0400
Roberto Nibali wrote:

> Well, this highly depends on the deployed architecture:
> LVS_DR or LVS_NAT.

yes, the implemenation will change a little bit, but the approach
will be the same.

> You mean you setup a filter on the realservers too?

with VS-DR they're connected to the outside world via
the router. Shouldn't I make it as difficult as possible
for someone who gains access to the LVS or doing a DoS
to send packets from one machine to another in the LVS?

> the general approach should be:
>
> 1. policy DENY for all chains
> 2. enable service on chains for incoming and outgoing (consider
>    the fact, that for example realservers never start with a SYN.

OK