Re: primary/backup and ability to start a service?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: primary/backup and ability to start a service?
From: Paul Baker <pbaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 19:33:43 -0500
Ricardo Kleemann wrote:
Hi,

No, not mysql. Load-balancing would be for web and email... But the issue
is that I need both LB and HA, and so was looking for some package that
could do both, or manage both.

That's fine, for web and email you can use LVS + HA. There are a couple ways to get the HA part. You can use LVS + mon which I believe is set up for you by the Configure.pl script that goes along with the HOWTO. Or you can go with the UltraMonkey project which is really LVS + Heartbeat + ldirectord.

But for MySQL you ONLY need HA, so ONLY use heartbeat. You would gain nothing except more headaches by forcing mysql to go through LVS to provide HA which it still wouldn't be able to do without someother utility (mon or ldirectord).

Paul J. Baker                                Internet Systems Developer
pbaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                  Where2GetIt.com
phone 847-498-0111x234
fax   847-480-7422