Re: primary/backup and ability to start a service?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: primary/backup and ability to start a service?
From: Stuart Fox <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 10:38:24 +0100
Ricardo Kleemann wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Does LVS support a primary/backup type of scenario? Aside from load
> balancing, I would like to be able to have a setup where I can have a
> primary database server and one or more hot backup servers.
>
> So if the primary goes down, LVS then not only redirects to the backup,
> but also starts up the database service as part of "bringing it up".
>
> The main reason is because it's very difficult to get useful replication
> out of something like mysql, so instead I thought of having a primary with
> one or more hot backups, and the data shared over NFS. The hot backups
> typically would not even be running the daemon, that way there's no
> problems with the shared data. But if the primary goes down, then the
> backup can take over, starting up the daemon.
>
> Anyways, can LVS be setup to do that rather than load-balancing? And also,
> can it run a script when it brings up the secondary?
>
> Thanks
> Ricardo

Hi

Im currently working on a project to do just that. We use RH
piranha for web clustering/HA. The new system im working on
is for fully load balanced/HA mysql database clusters. In case
you didnt know mysql 3.23.39 has a hot replication(master/slave)
feature that is extremely fast. The code is all in user space
and should be ready for prototype testing within 4 weeks. If anybody
wants to help with the code or get a copy please drop me a line. Its
only
about 30% complete at the moment. If testing is successful we intend
to roll it out in the next 3 months.
Its not ready for download yet(I dont have a public server to put it on)
but will be soon

Stuart