HTTP and SSH'ing to RS's

To: "LVS" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: HTTP and SSH'ing to RS's
From: "Zachariah Mully" <zmully@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 15:59:14 -0400
LVS'ers-
        First thanks to everyone for their help with ldirectord, it is working
great now.
        Next, I have question about some weird behavior I am seeing when
ssh'ing to my RS'es (via the RIP) in an LVS-DR setup. What happens when
I connect with a computer outside of the LVS system (ie. on another
subnet) is that if I haven't made a connection to that server in a while
(say 15 min) the first session will fail with error "Network error:
Connection reset by peer", but the second time I connect the session
will be established no problem. I am accessing the RIP's on the RS'es,
so I am not going through the director, but the strange thing is that I
can SSH any other box (including the director) than the RS'es without
getting this error.
        This behavior also manifests itself when the site the system is hosting
hasn't been hit in a while. The first connection I make to site gets a
404, but the next works perfectly, even that means I type it in, then
whack reload immediately. Seems like the system is "sleeping" and needs
a hit to wake up.
        This problem is baffling me, is the solution that obvious that my sleep
deprived brain is totally missing it?

My firewall is linux-2.4.5 netfilter based
My director is linux-2.4.5 running ipvs 0.8.0
RS1 and RS2 are both linux-2.4.5 based... Everything is connected via
full duplex 100base-T.

Thanks again,
Zack