RE: Direct Routing from behind a firewall?

To: Ricardo Kleemann <ricardo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Direct Routing from behind a firewall?
Cc: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 22:30:25 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Ricardo Kleemann wrote:

> Thanks!
>
> Ok, so if we don't want to take up public IP space, then DR can't be
> done... correct?

        It can, the real servers have to talk with the uplink
gateway using private IP addresses.

> I'd like to get some opinions from the experts... my feeling is that DR is
> the "fastest" method because it goes straight out, no management by the
> LVS server... Am I correct in assuming that?

        It is the fastest because the replies from the real servers
usually don't come back through the LVS box. OTOH, the delay of all
forwarding methods is equally small.

> What are the advantages/disadvantages between the different routing
> methods?

        The speed (DR) and the security (NAT).

Regards

--