Re: Load balancing for NFS server?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Load balancing for NFS server?
From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 27 Aug 2001 12:23:26 +0200
"Dinesh" <dksiwal@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Its ok if the server gives read only access , since i want the file
> server to be just be able to give read access of files to the
> server. If this is taken into consideration then is it possible to
> failover and load balance an NFS server ??

I haven't looked at it in detail, so take my advice with a grain of
salt.

Simple load balancing is easy, you just need to set up suitably long
persistence.  (In this case, DNS roundrobin works just as well, and
probably better.)

For failover, you need to make sure that the numerical values of file
handles and cookies on one realserver refer to the same filesystems
and files on the other.  Linux (and most other Unixen) use the inode
number for generating the file handle.  As you know, if you just copy
a file tree from one machine to another, the inode numbers will be
different.  You therefore need to make an exact copy of the
filesystem, using dd(1) or similar.

There are probably other obstacles as well.  Good luck, and let us
know what you find out.

Kjetil T.