L7 switching: string.patch for IPTables?

To: "LVS" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: L7 switching: string.patch for IPTables?
From: "Zachariah Mully" <zmully@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 14:38:59 -0400
Howdy all-
        I was checking out iptables 1.2.3 when I came across this interesting
patch:
http://cvs.samba.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/netfilter/userspace/patch-o-matic/st
ring.patch
        It allows one the ability to write iptable rules like this:
$IPTABLES  -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -m string --string .exe?  -m
tate  --state ESTABLISHED -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
        I was initially investigating this as a quick and dirty way of blocking
Nimda from my network (all linux, but I still didn't want that nasty
little guy flying around on my samba servers) at my firewall, but then
it occured to me that I could also use this in combination with a
fwmark-based LVS system to provide pseudo-L7 loadbalancing capabilities.
In my case I want to loadbalance a set of named based virtual hosts all
differently, some need SSL, some don't, some I only want balanced off
two servers instead of three.
        Has anyone played with this patch? I don't have a lab or the equipment
to setup a test system, but I figure that with all the intelligent LVS
users out there, someone must have tried this patch already ;)

Thanks again,
Zack