Re: L7 switching: string.patch for IPTables?

To: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: L7 switching: string.patch for IPTables?
Cc: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 11:41:06 +0300 (EEST)
        Hello,

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Roberto Nibali wrote:

> Yes, I know. That's why I said I have to read the advisory first but
> it seems as if there is no static payload in this worm this time. CR2
> had static byte match where I just could say something (this is not the
> one) like:
>
> tc filter add eth0 parent 1:0 prio 100 handle ::1 u32 ht 800:: match ip\
> nofrag offset mask 0x0F00 shift 6 hashkey mask 0x00ff0000 at 8 link 801:

        It is a common mistake in all examples to use "nofrag".
Switch to "firstfrag" :) So, you want LVS scheduling by tcindex :) ?

> And be faster and saner then any ipchains or iptables or whatever post-
> routing BH would be in. I started liking the new policy routing when I
> saw your fight with Andy Kleen and Mr. Savochyn. But I also see that
> this can only be used against worms for the fun part of it. We should
> and can use better tools for that :)

        Yep

> BTW, I just found a very interesting replacement for the cbq qdisc for
> linux: http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/htb/htbman.htm

        I saw this site long time ago but it seems now there are more
things there ...

> >         May be there is really a need for some pseudo-L7 classifiers in
> > the QoS code :) Then it could be useful for routers. May be it should
>
> LOL :)
> That's what I see after 10s grepping:
>
> struct tc_u32_key{
>         __u32           mask;
>         __u32           val;
>         int             off;
>         int             offmask;
> };
>
> struct tc_u32_sel
> {
>         unsigned char           flags;
>         unsigned char           offshift;
>         unsigned char           nkeys;
>         __u16                   offmask;
>         __u16                   off;
>         short                   offoff;
>         short                   hoff;
>         __u32                   hmask;
>         struct tc_u32_key       keys[0];
> };
>
> Let's add struct ip_vs_dest to it :)

        Can you explain :)

> > be related somehow to the connection tracking but it is not an easy job.
> > Matching blindly strings is too simple.
>
> Agreed. That's why I have a snort and a SPADE preprocessor for :)
> Hey Julian, I see, you will reinvent the Internet ...

        I know, this is only an idea. I don't have the time even to
think on it :)

> Have phun,
> Roberto Nibali, ratz
>
> BTW: Check out gen_new_htid(struct tc_u_common *tp_c) in
> ../net/sched/cls_u32.c.
>      I definitely like the variable i :)

        :)

Regards