Re: Directors - how fast??

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Directors - how fast??
From: Radu-Adrian Feurdean <raf@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 11:26:31 +0200 (CEST)
On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Horms wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 11:12:48AM +0100, Stuart Fox wrote:
> > We use generic 1/2U celeron 733's with 256Mb with an 8Mbit Line
> > The load never goes above 0.1 and mem is never an issue
>
> Hi
>
> I'm not dusputing that your system is able to cope with the load you are
> putting on it. I'd to note that much of the CPU time that LVS uses is done
> within the kernel and as such it will not show up in a load average or
> %CPU utilisation as shown by top and friends. This is because cycles used
> within the kernel more or less disapear from userspace, throwing the stats
> out.

CPU utilisation in kernel space DOES show up with top or vmstat. Probably not
all, but most of (here we could make links between an almost flat line of
LVS NAT'ed traffic at around 87 MBps and a CPU usage in kernel space of
90%-95% ; system = LVS/NAT + firewall , avg packet size ~= 795 bytes.)

 Radu-Adrian Feurdean
mailto: raf @ chez.com
Microsoft is the C:\ of all evil