Re: Primary lvs not coming back...

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Primary lvs not coming back...
From: Jason Witt <jdwitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 00:28:22 -0600
> Hi.
>
> I now have a small cluster of RedHat 7.2 machines. I have two lvs load
> balancers running Piranha-0.6.x. They are serving a vip for two web servers.
>
> The problem is this:  When I reboot the primary lvs the secondary seems to
> take over as it should.  However after a few minutes, the (the primary one
> is back up) the secondary lvs stops funcitoning.  I look at the processes
> running and it lists nanny for the two web servers, lvs and pulse (and
> piranha-gui) -- looks normal.  From my browser, however, I get a 404
> error.  When I do a ipvsadm -l on the secondary server, I active and
> inactive connections both register as 0.  When I shutdown the pulse service
> on the secondary lvs machine, the first take it over again, and everything
> seems fine (so long as the primary remains up).
>
> When the first comes back up, is the second supposed give control back to
> it? Or does it take the job of lvs until it goes down (then the primary
> takes it back)?  It is extremely frustrating.  What good is clustering if
> the fail-over doesn't work?

add --forceactive to the pulse command for the primary server's init script.
This will force the primary to always try to be the active server.

# snip
case "$1" in
  start)
        echo -n "Starting pulse: "
        daemon pulse --forceactive
        RETVAL=$?
        echo
        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/pulse
        ;;
# end snip