Primary lvs not coming back...

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Primary lvs not coming back...
From: Chris <cditri@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 12:18:05 -0500
Hi.

I now have a small cluster of RedHat 7.2 machines. I have two lvs load balancers running Piranha-0.6.x. They are serving a vip for two web servers.

The problem is this: When I reboot the primary lvs the secondary seems to take over as it should. However after a few minutes, the (the primary one is back up) the secondary lvs stops funcitoning. I look at the processes running and it lists nanny for the two web servers, lvs and pulse (and piranha-gui) -- looks normal. From my browser, however, I get a 404 error. When I do a ipvsadm -l on the secondary server, I active and inactive connections both register as 0. When I shutdown the pulse service on the secondary lvs machine, the first take it over again, and everything seems fine (so long as the primary remains up).

When the first comes back up, is the second supposed give control back to it? Or does it take the job of lvs until it goes down (then the primary takes it back)? It is extremely frustrating. What good is clustering if the fail-over doesn't work?

I really appreciate your help.

Chris

Here is a copy of my lvs.cf:

serial_no = 71