Re: Compatibility of diff versions

To: Victor <victord@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Compatibility of diff versions
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 22:46:44 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Victor wrote:

> Are various versions of LVS compatible with each other? For instance, if I
> want to test a 0.9.9 version in a 0.8.2 cluster, is that possible or do I
> need to switch them all at once? When versions are released, is there a file
> that perhaps informs whether the version is compatible with previous ones?

        Yes, the user structure changes often and it needs a proper
user space tool. You can look in ipvs/ipvsadm/ipvsadm.c for
the minimum required kernel version: MINIMUM_IPVS_VERSION_*.
Sometimes it is difficult to maintain compatibility, it stops
the development. We think, the problem to update the user space
is minor compared to the need for functionalities that appear in
the recent IPVS versions. There is always a way to maintain different
ipvsadm versions (create a smart shell script). The problem is
for any other user-space software that needs recompilation when
the LVS structures change.

> Thanks

Regards

--