Re: localnodes with heartbeat

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: localnodes with heartbeat
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 13:58:01 -0500
Jon Molin wrote:

> yeah, but that requires two rc.lvs scripts, right? One for the
> director/server being director and one for it being only server.

I was assuming that the realservers looked the same from each director.
I hadn't considered your localnode situation. Do you want the realserver
to always stay on the primary director, ie be localnode when the primary
is running and a regular realserver. If so you are expecting a realserver
to be functioning on a director box that is down. Otherwise if you
had localnode on both of the directors, then the service would look
local no matter which box was the director.

> I'm very new to this but it feels dangerous if heartbeat does something
> wrong and sets both as directors.

you're totally hosed if this happens and you can expect the HA people
to have done their homework here.

> here's where things started to go wrong:
> LVS realserver type vs-dr
> adding route to real-server network 255.255.255.224
> route: bogus netmask 212.75.72.63
>
> i've no clue where it gets that netmask...it's not in the conf file...

this is your VIP line

VIP=eth1:1 212.75.72.15 255.255.255.192 212.75.72.63

for vs-dr it should be

VIP=eth1:1 212.75.72.15 255.255.255.255 212.75.72.15

it does seem that something else has gone wrong. It
should setup on your incorrect netmask without
complaint and just not work.

> hmm, i add the output as attachment

that isn't any real help to me. The only thing useful is the output
when run under sh -x and I'll ask for that offline so it doesn't fill
up the mailling list archive disk.