Re: Problems recognizing director

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Problems recognizing director
From: Jason Wies <jason@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 15:45:27 -0500
[replying to an old thread]

2.4.16/2.4.17
0.8.2

The temporary solution to my problem was to reboot the real servers.  Once they
had been rebooted, the packets to the VIP were answered by the director instead
of one real server.  This worked for over a month, with the real servers
occasionally being rebooted.  Then after a reboot of one real server, that
server started answering requests instead of the director.  I rebooted multiple
times in an effort to get the director to respond instead of the real server,
with no luck.  The hidden flags were set correctly.

Yesterday I added more real servers, and tried to get the director to answer
for the VIP, with mixed results.  Out of about 20 attempts at different
rebooting sequences/interface settings, only once did the director handle the
requests, and that was after I changed the scheduler and reloaded the
configuration using ipvsadm-restore.  As soon as the scheduler was changed or
the director rebooted, it stopped responding to requests on the VIP (the real
servers didn't respond either, of course).  Trying different schedulers again
before/after rebooting didn't produce the same result.

After a few hours I gave up, but left the machines in a "this should work"
configuration.  Real server 1 was replying to all requests for the VIP (even
with the hidden flags on), and ipvsadm on the director was showing no
connections (as was tcpdump).  By this morning, however, everything was working
as it should (director handling requests),  with no configuration
changes/reboots at all.

So I'm a bit confused, any thoughts or previous experiences with situations
like this would be appreciated.

Rules used for testing, with different schedulers/weights:

-A -t 216.218.xxx.vip:80 -s rr
-a -t 216.218.xxx.vip:80 -r 216.218.xxx.rs1:80 -g

The VIP and real server IP's are also in /etc/hosts, and I've tried using the
names vs. IP's with no difference in results.

Questions:

a) How stable is the 0.9.x series?

b) Do the hidden flags need to be set before the device is brought up and/or
before the VIP is added to the device?  I have them set in /etc/sysctl.conf
now, which gets re-read after the devices are up.

Thanks,
Jason Wies