Re: can I use ip route to dst:port

To: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: can I use ip route to dst:port
Cc: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxx>, Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <busterb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <J.D.F.Palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 22:22:45 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Joseph Mack wrote:

> realserver:/etc/rc.d# ip route show table RIP
> 192.168.1.0/24 dev eth0  scope link  src 192.168.1.11
> default via 192.168.1.9 dev eth0
>
> There's a default route there (it seems to me)!
>
> Question: why doesn't the realserver use this default
> route for packets from the RIP? Why does it need a default
> route in table main?

        You don't have a route in the form from "0/0 to DEST".
Table RIP is used only from callers already bound to src RIP.
One of the ways to autoselect source IP address when talking
with destination host is to provide saddr=0.0.0.0 as
routing call argument. Without such routes you have to bind()
to some local IP before connect().

BTW, defining preferred source in all routes is recommended.

> Joe

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>