Re: Redirector project for FreeBSD

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Redirector project for FreeBSD
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 12:38:30 +0100
Hi Joe,

is it reasonable to just support the cards that do? (are they the common
cheap ones, eg tulip, eepro100)?

Yes and no. If you sum up the loss you have for a failed service for your e-commerce, banking, whatever project depending on the SLA all NICs are cheap. Trust me on that :)

And if you can't afford 'expensive' cards, I'm pretty sure you're not running LVS is business/productive environment and thus you also don't need keepalived.

I could be wrong on this one but I made the experience that buying cheap hardware doesn't pay off in the end. Only maybe if you're running a small company with no branches and 3-10 employees. You might do this.

YMMV. Cheers mate,
Roberto Nibali, ratz