Re: looking for name for primary IP on director facing the RIP network.

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: looking for name for primary IP on director facing the RIP network.
From: jsc3@xxxxxxx (John Cronin)
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 15:55:43 -0400 (EDT)
Joseph Mack wrote:

> John Cronin wrote:
>
> > Is there really a sense of Primary and Secondary, or are both nodes equal?
>
> At configure time, director1 will run the configure script and
> will come up as "it", then director1 will use ssh to tell director2
> to run the script and director2 will come up as "!it".

> So they are equal, but you'll force them to come up in a certain
> order. That way when you look at the logs you can tell the initial
> state and when the first failover occured.

Gotcha - primary means that at cluster startup, primary will always
be the live node and secondary will always be the backup director.

> > Can it go four letters?  Could try RDIP (Real Director IP), but then
> > the DIP might need to become the VDIP.  This must be getting close to
> > mature technology, as the need for acronyms is increasing.  ;)
>
> With a small number of different types of IPs, so far VIP, DIP, RIP and CIP,
> SGW, DGW, we've got less than 3 bits of information. I'd hate to have to
> go to 4 letters to handle just one more name.

OK, so let's itemize the available three letter acronyms that are easy
to pronounce and end in IP:

        BIP
        FIP
        GIP
        HIP
        JIP
        KIP
        LIP
        MIP
        NIP
        PIP
        QIP
        SIP
        TIP
        WIP
        YIP
        ZIP

So, can we think of something that begins with any of the following letters
that adequately describes a real director IP?

        B, F, G, H, J, K, L, M, N, P, Q, S, T, W, Y, Z

PIP and SIP are OK, but I am not enthusiastic about having two TLAs for
essentially the same function.

--
John Cronin
mailto: `echo NjsOc3@xxxxxxxxxxx | sed 's/[NOSPAM]//g'`