Re: ipip & bsd question

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: ipip & bsd question
From: kgaliy@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 20:22:50 +0400
thanks

carla quiblat <carlaq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>@LinuxVirtualServer.org on
20.06.2002 19:07:29

Please respond to lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent by:    lvs-users-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To:    lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc:

Hello,

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 kgaliy@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

<snipped>
> example from www.linuxvirtualserver.org:  ifconfig tunl0 172.26.20.110
> netmask 255.255.255.255 broadcast 172.26.20.110 up
> and this cut from man ifconfig for bsd:
> tunnel src_addr dest_addr
>              (IP tunnel devices only.)  Configure the physical source and
> des-
>              tination address for IP tunnel interfaces (gif(4)).  The
argu-
>              ments src_addr and dest_addr are interpreted as the outer
>              source/destination for the encapsulating IPv4/IPv6 header.
>
> needed two ip addresses?

First, gifs must be supported in your kernel (enable "pseudo-device
gif" in your kernel config).

src_addr is the address of your NIC's interface while dest_addr is the
remote side or the other end of the tunnel IP address. For example, if pc1
is one end of your tunnel and pc2 is the other end, then:

if in pc1, you have:
 xl0: 1.1.1.1

 gif0:

if in pc2, you have:
 de0: 1.1.2.1

 gif0:

on pc1, do the following:

 pc1# ifconfig gif0 1.1.1.1 1.1.2.1

on pc2, do the following:

 pc2# ifconfig gif0 1.1.2.1 1.1.1.1

You can also man gifconfig .

I haven't tried using gif interfaces for IP-in-IP tunneling. I've
only used them for IPv6 in IPv4 tunneling, but you can test it.

Also, I'm not really knowledgeable in lvs. I'm still in the reading stage
so I can't really comment on how you can make gifs work with lvs.

HTH,
carla