Re: Network funkyness

To: Daniel Burke <smstnitc@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Network funkyness
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 01:35:33 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Daniel Burke wrote:

> > Example:
> >     POWER=16 => 65536 rows => 655360 conns, ~10 on each
> > row
> >

> Interesting... the help for that entry in the kernel
> was misleading to me then.  What I got out of it was
> that each connection was each entry is 128+8 bytes,
> and you should calculate the max connections you
> expect to get times the number of seconds the
> connection will last in the table (600 seconds
> persistance set for port 443 currently), and that was
> how much memory you needed, so I calculated the value
> of X to get me to that number (2**X).
>
> Max connections we can handle at once is 480.
>
> 480*600*136=approx 39meg.
> 2**26 is 64m

        Yes, you need this memory, but the memory allocation
for hash table does not include the 128-byte conns.

root@u:~# bc -l
l(480*600/10)/l(2)
14.81378119121703705879

        So, you need 14 or 15 bits. You can even go with 16 or 17.
16 means 2^16 * 8=512KB allocated for empty hash table which
is much lower than 512MB

> I'm not sure this will resolve the network issue we
> are experiencing though, since we never made that
> change to the backup director.

        It looks strange, I don't have idea.

> Thanks,
> Dan.