Re: Network funkyness

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Network funkyness
From: Daniel Burke <smstnitc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 09:01:40 -0700 (PDT)
--- Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > >   POWER=16 => 65536 rows => 655360 conns, ~10 on
> >
> > Interesting... the help for that entry in the
> > was misleading to me then.  What I got out of it
> > that each connection was each entry is 128+8
> > 480*600*136=approx 39meg.
> > 2**26 is 64m
>
>       Yes, you need this memory, but the memory
allocation
> for hash table does not include the 128-byte conns.
>
> root@u:~# bc -l
> l(480*600/10)/l(2)
> 14.81378119121703705879
>
>       So, you need 14 or 15 bits. You can even go with 16
or 17.
> 16 means 2^16 * 8=512KB allocated for empty hash
table which
> is much lower than 512MB

That makes much more sense, thanks.  I'd suggest
clarifying the help for that entry in the kernel
config... rereading it it still seems confusing even
now that I know how to actually do it.

As far as my network problem, it looks like it was an
ARP problem (blech!)...  I tried several methods to
get to the bottom of the problem, and in the end, I
noticed I was setting the hidden flag on the dummy
interface AFTER the 4 ip's were assigned... for some
reason it suddenly started causing problems with the
directors after I rebooted the primary... so right now
my primary and secondary directors are not serving
pages because I couldn't get heartbeat to bring up the
VIP interfaces after I moved where in the process the
hidden flag is set.

It braught me down 2 machines, but they're lower end
compared to the other 4, and were set to hardly take
any requests anyways... it's just frustrating that it
took 3 months for this problem to appear... trying to
explain that to the B.O.S.S. is going to be fun.

How well would it work to allow the secondary to have
the dummy interfaces, and serve pages until it has to
take over load balance responsibilitys, and hack
heartbeat to shutdown apache and bring down the dummy
interfaces before bringing up the VIP's?  Has anyone
done anything like this, or is it not a wise idea to
even consider?

thanks,
Dan.