Re: which is the right patch for kernel 2.4.7-10 fr lvs?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: which is the right patch for kernel 2.4.7-10 fr lvs?
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 12:11:21 +0900
On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 07:43:23PM -0700, Ramish Patel wrote:
> I am using Red Hat Linux 7.2, kernel 2.4.7-10, and I have attempted to
> apply numerous patches to it for lvs, only two of which have been
> successfully applied without errors -- they came from this source:
>
> ipvs-1.0.4.tar.gz
>
> Which contained the only two patches which were applied to the kernel
> successfully:
>
> linux_kernel_ksyms.c.diff
> linux_net_netsyms.c.diff
>
> I re-compiled the kernel afterwards. I am still getting error messages:
>
> "Could not open the /proc/net/ip_masq/vs file
> Are you sure that the IP Virtual Server is supported by the kernel?"
>
> I had noticed that at least one other person had experienced the same
> error message, although they (apparently) had an earlier kernel than mine,
> and therefore, different patches. I am most perplexed. Which patches
> should I be using for this particualr kernel? (And where might I find
> them?) Thank you!

Firstly I would stronly recommend that you start with
a kernel from kernel.org (such as 2.4.18) rather than
using Red Hat's Kernel unless you know what you
are doing. ipvs-1.0.4 does not work out of the box with
the Kernel shipped with Red Hat 7.2 and vice versa.

However if you want to do this here is a rough guide.

1. You need to apply the linux_kernel_ksyms.c.diff and
   linux_net_netsyms.c.diff
2. You need to remove the existing version of LVS which is
   present in the 7.2 kernel. You can do this by examining
   the patches that are provided with the kernel src.rpm
   and the spec.file.
3. Compile the kernel - a few minor things may fail.
   Again this is the "way of pain".
4. Build the kernel modules privieded in the ipvs/ subdirectory
   of ipvs-1.0.4.tar.gz. You will need to make modifications
   to the source to get this to work, but they should be minor.

--
Horms