Re: lvs, ha and dns concept

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: lvs, ha and dns concept
From: Greg Woods <woods@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 09:51:02 -0600 (MDT)
> I'm planning to put my company's dns on lvs with ha.

Unless you have a really unusual situation, I think using LVS for
DNS is massive overkill. There is no way that DNS load should
overwhelm a single server. If it does, you probably are in dire
need of some subdomains.  What I do here is just use the heartbeat
code so that the hot spare backup machine will take over if
the primary goes down, and I do have a restart script that uses
scp to move the data files that have been modified over to the
backup machine. scp is called out of a script that will keep
trying the scp until it succeeds, in case the backup machine
is down at the time a change is made. This seems to work for us.

I do use LVS for our mail system, but then, the mail system does
anti-spam IP address blacklist checking, and virus scanning. That
means the overhead of establishing a connection through LVS is small
compared to the load on the server to process a connection. I don't
think this is the case for DNS.

--Greg