Re: Simple Question Regarding Maintenance of real server

To: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Simple Question Regarding Maintenance of real server
From: "Matthew S. Crocker" <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 08:22:15 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Malcolm Turnbull wrote:

> Just trying to get the following straight in my thick skull :-).
>
> If I have two real servers with 50 active connections each, using wlc
> both with weight=1 (http)
>
> I change 1 real server to weight=0
>
> Most Active connections move to the other server straight away so I get
>
> rs1 :         20 connections
> rs2 : 80 connections
>
> Now I physicaly switch off rs1
>
> and I still get
>
> rs1 :         20 connections
> rs2 : 80 connections
>
> later after about 5-10 mins all rs1 connections get dropped...
>
> Question 1 :
>
> As HTTP is stateless is it safe to switch off a real server once weight
> has been set to zero ? (after waiting about 1 min for current page
> downloads to complete. I assume the users will get a stall otherwise.)

I would also issue an  apachectl graceful to restart the webserver once
the sessions are done.  Keepalive HTTP requests will keep a session open
to the server even after all the info has been sent.   Graceful will
terminate that session.

> Question 2 :
>
> Whats the difference between an active connection and an inactive one ?
> Does it just depend on TCP timeouts ?

Dunno

Matthew S. Crocker
Vice President / Internet Division         Email: matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx
Crocker Communications                     Phone: (413) 746-2760
PO BOX 710                                 Fax:   (413) 746-3704
Greenfield, MA 01302-0710                  http://www.crocker.com