Simple Question Regarding Maintenance of real server

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Simple Question Regarding Maintenance of real server
From: Malcolm Turnbull <malcolm.turnbull@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 13:03:12 +0100
Just trying to get the following straight in my thick skull :-).

If I have two real servers with 50 active connections each, using wlc both with weight=1 (http)

I change 1 real server to weight=0

Most Active connections move to the other server straight away so I get

rs1 :   20 connections
rs2 :   80 connections

Now I physicaly switch off rs1

and I still get

rs1 :   20 connections
rs2 :   80 connections

later after about 5-10 mins all rs1 connections get dropped...

Question 1 :

As HTTP is stateless is it safe to switch off a real server once weight has been set to zero ? (after waiting about 1 min for current page downloads to complete. I assume the users will get a stall otherwise.)

Question 2 :

Whats the difference between an active connection and an inactive one ?
Does it just depend on TCP timeouts ?

--

Regards,

Malcolm Turnbull