Re: Unwanted persistance

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Unwanted persistance
From: Chris Williams <chris.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 18 Oct 2002 10:12:05 +0100
Answered within an hour, that is sweet.

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 16:40, Joseph Mack wrote:

> presumably you've read
>
> http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.7
>
> the proper way to bring down a realserver is to set the weight to 0

I'm trying to simulate a server crash rather then a deliberate take down
of a server.

> http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.1
>
> and then wait till the clients have disconnected.
>
> > LVS persistance is set to 0 so that's not the problem. After 2-5 minutes
> > requests stop being sent to the dead server and everything is hunky-dory
> > again.
>
> no new connections should be made after you quiesce the realserver, but
> you have to let the client complete their connection.
>
> > So maybe it is something to do with TCP timeouts? I checked out
> > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_timeout but that was set to 7200 (2
> > hours,) which is far longer then the problem I am encountering.
>
> keepalive is for maintaining an idle connection. The 2 minute timeout
> is the FIN_WAIT for an InActConn to clear.
The the thing is I'm only serving http, a connectionless protocol
Would this still apply? ipvsadm shows no inactive or active connections
(once the initial download has occured,) but the problem still occurs
that once I pull a real server out of the cluster, ipvsadm shows it as
being removed, but traffic still gets directed there for 2-5 minutes.

Also I've just discovered that connecting from a different machine then
the one doing load testing (a router unfortunetly, so not all together
independant,) still gets sent to the dead real server.

I'm starting to think that maybe I can live with a problem 2 minutes on
server failure, but will struggle on for the moment.

Cheers,
Chris.

This e-mail message is meant solely for the person or organisation to whom it
is adressed. The message may contain personal or confidential information, or
information that is not public in nature. Ehbas Ltd accepts no responsibility
for message content and possible attachments that are unlawful or of
questionable decency. Further dissemination, publication or duplication of this
message is strictly prohibited if the person or organisation receiving this
message is not the intended recipient. In the event that you are not the
intended recipient, we request you to refrain from using the content and to
immediately inform the sender of the error by returning the message. Thank you
for your co-operation.