Re: having trouble with load balancing

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: having trouble with load balancing
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 21:47:05 +0100
Jeremy Kerr wrote:
  -> 192.162.10.18:5222           Masq    1      0          0
  -> 192.168.10.17:5222           Masq    1      0          0
You do realise that the .18 entry is 192.162, rather than 192.168 ??

Hehe :). This is the only thing that I didn't check carefully enough. I should have gone to bed earlier because this morning this was the first thing I checked because during the massive email exchange with Justin off-list we finally got to the conclusion that it must be the director.

<OT>
If you think about it afterwards, it's so clear and you'll slap your forehead. Because the most important thing Justin said right from the beginning was that absolutely _no_ packets are leaving the director if it should be forwarded to ~.18. This can only mean three things:

1. routing problem (sick LVS)
2. configuration mismatch (confused LVS)
3. bug in LVS (bug in LVS)

In cases (1.) and (2.) LVS has a completely broken configuration (as Justin's case showed) and thus renders the poor LVS pretty sick, because it doesn't know anymore where to send the packets to, except the default route, which is back to the Internet :)

For case (3.) there are a couple of rules:

1. First rule of LVS, we do not talk about LVS bugs in its code.
2. Second rule of LVS, there are no BUGs in the LVS code :)
3. Third rule of LVS, see first rule of LVS.

But this is the beauty of open source. So many bright people to help each other. Thank you Jeremy. I wonder if we should write some code to catch such configuration issues.
</OT>

Cheers,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq'|dc