Re: having trouble with load balancing

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: having trouble with load balancing
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 19:58:25 +0100
Hello,

Could you do me a small favour? Do not top post, please. I do get a lot of emails and it is just a lot more convenient the other way, because then I see immediately what issue we've solved and what is remaining.

Justin Georgeson wrote:
If I understand all the VIP/RIP/CIP, than yes, that is the VIP. Those

And the DGW of the RS point to the director, right?

two telnet commands should both work, if you sit and try it over and over, it will succeed every other time. I'm not blocking it with IP

Ok, I just tried it and it indeed is just like you described it.

tables. tcpdump on ~.18 shows no packets when coming in this way. The

Could you tcpdump on the outgoing (towards the private net) interface to see if the packets are crafted correctly for both RSs? Please send it to the list (should not be too long if we dump only for 2 connection requests).

director has a dozen or so aliased interfaces (eth0:1-n). I bind those aliased interfaces to other public IPs and use LVS to NAT to particular

That seems resonable. One thing I wonder is how the routing table looks like on the director and the RS. If you could provide us with those and maybe the link configuration?

ip rule show
ip route show table main
ip addr show dev eth0

machines on the private lan. So I can actually telnet directly to port 5222 on the IPs I have aliased for the two boxes in question. In this

You mean you have other public IPs (not the VIP) which will get port forwarded with a 1:1 NAT to the assigned RS?

particular case, I need to have one FQDN/IP to load balance between a couple of them.

It is not a DNS problem. And the FQDN is only for the VIP. You do not want to people to connect to the RS directly anyway, so keep them on a IP basis.

After one connection

TCP  66.150.129.229:5222 wrr
  -> 192.162.10.18:5222           Masq    1      0          0
  -> 192.168.10.17:5222           Masq    1      0          1

After 2nd attempt (says Trying 66.150.129.229... then nothing, so I <Ctrl>+<c>)

TCP  66.150.129.229:5222 wrr
  -> 192.162.10.18:5222           Masq    1      0          1
  -> 192.168.10.17:5222           Masq    1      0          1

Verified with telnet from here. This indicates to me that the second RS is not set up the same way as the first one (routing issue, firewall rules on the RS, VIP not correctly set or missing). Normally the above indicates that the daemon somehow died in a select loop but didn't close the listener. Since you mentioned that you can successfully connect to both RS on port 5222 and do get a telnet prompt, we have to assume that both daemons are working correctly.

All of my ipvsadm rules are LVS-NAT, but they probably don't need to be.

What rules? Do you mean setup?

I'm fully prepared to accept that I'm using lvs all wrong, but so far it's been working for me. :) If there is a better configuration for me

What do you mean with '... so far it's been working for me ...'? Did it work up to a certain point with this setup and layout and it stopped working afterwards?

to use, I'll certainly open to trying it.

Since for me everything indicates that your second RS is not configured like the first one, we do not need to change the LVS configuration.

Regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq'|dc