How does LVS check server availability?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: How does LVS check server availability?
From: Darek Milewski <darekm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 07:58:12 -0500
I am using LVS to load balance 2 IIS web servers. Only one of those has IIS started up and listening on ports 80 and 443. The other one is just up, IE: pingable.

I noticed that when I add both to the server pool, LVS sends requests to the server with no webserver listening. So a client may easily end up being unable to pull up the page.

I know it might be expensive in terms of resources, but does LVS actually maintain a TCP connection to all servers in the pool to know which ones are serving pages and which ones aren't?

I know that a common answer would be to just take out the inactive server, but it does happen often that the web server software dies, while the box is pingable, at which point a client would get an error in their browser.

Or perhaps I am missing something here. Maybe an addon program that ties into LVS to provide it with TCP based monitoring.

Thanks in advance.