[OT] SSL Licensing (was: LVS and SSL encapsulation)

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [OT] SSL Licensing (was: LVS and SSL encapsulation)
From: Simon Young <simon-lvs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:34:33 +0000
On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 08:42:51PM +0000, Malcolm Turnbull wrote:

> Matthias Krauss wrote:
> > thx,
> > thats a good start. Why do i want to do this ?
> > Because i do not want the iis doing ssl decryption and
> > i dont wanna pay a cert. for each realserver in my
> > lvs config.
>
> As far as I am aware Thwate do not require you to buy a seperate cert
> for each real server (just for each domain).

Just for the record, here's the relevant section from the definitions
section of Thawte's ssl certificate license agreement:

  "Licensing Option" shall mean the specific licensing option on the
  enrollment screen that permits a subscriber to use of a Certificate on
  one physical Device and obtain additional Certificate licenses for
  each physical server that each Device manages, or where replicated
  Certificates may otherwise reside

  "Device" shall mean a network management tool, such as a server load
  balancer or SSL accelerator, that routes electronic data from one
  point to single or multiple devices or servers.

And from section 4 or the agreement:

  ... You are also prohibited from using your Certificate on more than
  one server at a time, except where you have purchased the specific
  licensing option on the enrollment screen that permits the use of a
  Certificate on multiple servers (the Licensing Option). ...

So it looks like all realservers do indeed require a license for each
realserver - or at least you have to buy the 'multiple server' license
option, which is more expensive than the single machine license.

In addition:

  In the event you purchase the Licensing Option, you hereby acknowledge
  and agree that ... you may not copy the Certificate on more than five
  (5) servers.

So a large number of realservers may need a multiple server license for
every five machines. This could get expensive...

In summary, you need a valid license for every copy of your certificate
being used, whether it be single licenses for each, or multiple licenses
for every 5 machines.

Simon