LVS-NAT with only 2 boxes both acting as director and RS

To: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: LVS-NAT with only 2 boxes both acting as director and RS
From: Sébastien Bonnet <Sebastien.Bonnet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 12:31:20 +0100
Hi list,

I've been trying to solve Michael Jervis' problem and I finally doubt
about the feasability of the following :
LVS-NAT with only 2 boxes both acting as director and RS

If both hosts have 2 NICs, configured with eth0/10./public-network and
eth1/192./private-RS-network.
Say host1 is the director. DGW on host2 is host1.

If host1 is the director, and forwards a connection to host2, will host2
reply thru host1 or directly on the 10. network ? In the earlier case,
everything's fine. In the later, it's all screwed up :)

I remember I had brain damages about that more than a year ago but can't
figure out what my conclusion was.

The true question is : when IPVS masquerades packets, does it change the
source (client) address to its own, private RS lan, address ?

--
Sébastien Bonnet
  Centre de contacts - Experian France