LVS Project Plans - firewall on director box(es)?

To: LVS List <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: LVS Project Plans - firewall on director box(es)?
From: Vinnie <listacct1@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 21:21:47 -0500
Hi everybody,

I'm a newbie to LVS, although I have been running Linux servers for about 3 years now. Pretty familiar with iptables/netfilter, building custom kernels and software compiles, etc.

I found some documentation regarding LVS on the website (linuxvirtualserver.org), off hand I believe it was section 21 of the LVW How-To, and running a firewall on the same box. It appears that there is potential for "issues" if I try to have the director box also be a firewall for the public servers. But I am a bit uncertain after reading this documentation whether some or all of the issues mentioned here are still a problem.

What I'd basically like to do is take a pair of machines, each with dual NIC's in them, and have them serve as a high-availability pair of internet gateway/firewall machines for the network. We would be using the NAT LVS option. Best I can tell, it would not be a problem at all, except that I would also like this HA pair of machines to also serve as the primary firewall for the network.

We have a pair of front-end servers running Apache/Qmail/Sqwebmail, and various associated other services (courier-imap, mysql slave, etc.). All the boxes are running customized 2.4.18-series kernels for now. We have a /28 block of public IP address space to work with. The plan is to have the gateway HA pair be a director for the front-end servers, which themselves would also be an HA (and load-balanced) pair for the public services these servers host. We're currently running round-robin DNS, and not only does that waste public IP's, but it just "doesn't get it" for sharing the load and availability.

I'm not worried about getting the real servers set up, should not be very difficult. It's just the director machines I'm concerned about, with the topics I saw about LVS getting along with netfilter connection state/tracking, etc.

It looks like it may just be a matter of being careful in which order I have packets traverse the chains, and don't get too crazy with the NAT PRE/POSTROUTING parts of the firewall script. But I'm not sure if some of the other things mentioned are still a problem or not.

I won't ask anybody to tell me how to do it or anything like that, I'm just curious if anybody else is doing this and if it's going "generally well" for you, or if I would be better off to NOT try to have the gateway router/firewall box(es) also serving as director(s) for the real servers.

Thanks in advance,

Vinnie