Re[2]: LVS and a PPPoE/L2TP concentrator

To: "Alex Kramarov" <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re[2]: LVS and a PPPoE/L2TP concentrator
From: Andre Correa <andre.correa@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 17:44:41 -0300
Let me try to be more detailled in this post.

My concentrator is a Linux box, kernel 2.4.20. Its main function is to
act as a PPPoE server. The PPPoE daemon "listen" to PPPoE requests at
L2, makes its handshake with the client (LCP talk) and, if the user is
authenticated, it gets an IP address. The PPPoE handshake happens
without an IP address on the client side.

With the client authenticated and with an IP address, the concentrator
sets routing, iptables and traffic control rules to firewall, NAT and
traffic shape client's traffic.

L2TP would do something similar, but for now I'm more concerned about
PPPoE.

I'm sorry but I don't followed your idea of the "heartbeat for
failover in an active-active config". My goal is to have multiple
concentrators acting as a single PPPoE server and as a single
firewall,  NAT,  QOS  box. Everything in my setup is Linux, except the
clients...

In my point of view a solution that establishs some kind of
"session" based on users MAC address would be a great solution because
the client would use the same realserver during the whole PPPoE
session. But I don't know much about how LVS works... and that is why
I'm asking for help here. If think I need an "L2 load balancer"...
does such a thing exists on Linux? (he!)

tks in advance for the attention.

cheers.

Andre