RE: UltraMonkey vs keepalived vs LVSM vs ??

Subject: RE: UltraMonkey vs keepalived vs LVSM vs ??
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:39:25 -0700
> UltraMonkey (http://ultramonkey.org) has a nice set of tools
> and sample
> configurations. Seems to work pretty well and was easy to set
> up. They use
> heartbeat for HA and provide ldirectord for LVS stuff.

I use heartbeat & ldirectord here, ~2 years with no issues.  Horms (project
owner) responds very quickly to issues.  Source code for "checking"
mechanism is perl, so if perl's your thing it's handy to have and easy to
modify...

> It looks like keepalived (http://keepalived.sourceforge.net/)
> dispenses with
> heartbeat in favor of their own vrrp implementation. Real
> failover, right? No
> backup serial connection that I can tell, but IPSEC for the
> broadcasts (nice). One deamon does both LVS stuff and failover?

I use keepalived for its VRRP/HA qualities on my linux routers.  Alexander
(project owner) is pretty responsive too.  I like this setup a little more
than ultramonkey because of my experiences with routers in the past.  But I
don't see this as a reason to switch from my perfectly working linux-ha
setup with Ultramonkey..

> LVSM (http://lvsm.theory.org/) has a Web GUI, which the
> others don't. Uses
> heartbeat and mon. Its LVS deamon is plvsd.

I'd use the other two before this one.  Almost nobody uses the mon-based
solutions anymore.  Not because they don't work, it's just that much more
active development is happening in the other two.

Hope that helps

Peter