max connections to load balancer

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: max connections to load balancer
From: Robert Lazzurs <lazzurs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 18 Jun 2003 22:05:23 +0100
I have setup a test network with a few app servers and a lvs machine
with one client.  I seems to have issues topping 5000 connections per
second.

Here is the setup

2 app servers with 2.4.20 patched with the hidden patch running thttpd

1 lvs machine running keepalived using rr sched.  Running kernel 2.4.20
with 1.0.7 of the ipvs patch

One test machine running 2.4.20 with no patches.

All pentium 3 700MHz with 128Mb ram or above

I have been using ab with the following command line

ab -n 10000 -c 1000 http://192.168.55.3/test.html

I have done the following to correct the situation

Read http://www.linux-vs.org/performance/lvs.ps.gz and according to the
suggestions in that ran the following on all of the machines.

echo 1048576 > /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max
echo 1048576 > /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_default
echo 1048576 > /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_default
echo 1048576 > /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_max
ulimit -n 10000
sysctl -w 'fs.file-max=150000'
sysctl -w 'fs.inode-max=32768'
sysctl -w 'net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range=1024 40000'

I also tried to patch httperf as per their suggestion but when I did
this it just sat and ate cpu time.

I have tried the above tests (ab) on both the real server and the
virtual server and I get about the same results.  It is not a bandwidth
issue as all of the machines are on a 100Mbit switch and it is not
coming close to maxing out the bandwidth of any of the machines.

I have also checked that it is not the test client machine by adding
another client machine in as well and if I add the connections per
second of both of them I get about the same results.

If anyone has any suggestions on how I should proceed then that would be
most excellent, use kernel 2.5? change the web server? what ever you
think it could be.

Thanks in advance, kind regards - RL

--
MSN:lazzurs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx      |"All that is etched in stone
Yahoo:admroblaz AIM:admroblaz   |is truly only scribbled in