Re: max connections to load balancer

Subject: Re: max connections to load balancer
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 01:39:29 +0200
Robert Lazzurs wrote:
I have setup a test network with a few app servers and a lvs machine
with one client.  I seems to have issues topping 5000 connections per
second.

Which count? ipvsadm -L -n or ab? What exactly do both tell you at the point of saturation? What kind of NICs do you use? Could you check their speed setting with either mii-tool or ethtool, please?

I have been using ab with the following command line ab -n 10000 -c 1000 http://192.168.55.3/test.html

ab doesn't handle the concurrency very well in my opinion so try reducing that to let's say 50 or so. How big is you page? How long does ab -n 1 -c 1 http://192.168.55.3/test.html take to return?

echo 1048576 > /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max
echo 1048576 > /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_default
echo 1048576 > /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_default
echo 1048576 > /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_max
ulimit -n 10000
sysctl -w 'fs.file-max=150000'
sysctl -w 'fs.inode-max=32768'
sysctl -w 'net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range=1024 40000'

Only needed on the real servers.

I also tried to patch httperf as per their suggestion but when I did
this it just sat and ate cpu time.

;).

I have tried the above tests (ab) on both the real server and the
virtual server and I get about the same results.  It is not a bandwidth

I do not understand this, sorry. What is the network flow for the two mentioned test conducts above?

test ----> LVS ----> RS
test --------------> RS

or

RS ----> RS (localhost)
LVS ----> RS

issue as all of the machines are on a 100Mbit switch and it is not
coming close to maxing out the bandwidth of any of the machines.

It can also be a pps (packets per seconds) issue.

I have also checked that it is not the test client machine by adding
another client machine in as well and if I add the connections per
second of both of them I get about the same results.

From short thinking I see the problems in two endroits:

o thttpd is not able to handle more connections
o network congestion in regard of pps

If anyone has any suggestions on how I should proceed then that would be
most excellent, use kernel 2.5? change the web server? what ever you
think it could be.

Could you try with apache as well please and could you provide me with the numbers I requested in the beginning of this email? I does definitely not look like an LVS problem as with your setup you would be able to handle 5000 pps with a 3 Minute persistency even.

Best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq'|dc