Re: busy servers & time_wait connections

To: ilclaudio@xxxxxxxxxxx,<lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: busy servers & time_wait connections
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 07:53:47 -0400
ilclaudio@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm using LVS-DR to balance 12 real servers.
> Each server runs a little search web engine.
> When these servers are overloaded there are lots of TCP connections in the
> state "TIME_WAIT".
> I know why they are in that state, because I read some documents about this
> argument.
> However I'd like to reduce the number of connections in this state.
> That's I want to reduce the time before a connection is closed definitively.
> I read an old post of Roberto Nibali (about LVS Performance) who tells that
> it is possible the tuning of TCP_TIMEWAIT and CLOSE_WAIT connections.
> But he only mention this possibility.
> Does anybody know how to do this?

Changing the timing is written up in many places, but the tcpip parameters
are one level below LVS and you really shouldn't mess with them unless you've
got good reason.

Why do you want to get rid of the TIME_WAITs?

o Are you running out of sockets? then increase them.

o aesthetics ie you don't like seeing a long list of TIME_WAITS?
then go find something else to concern
yourself with and leave to computer to handle the connections, it's doing just
fine.
When you have 10s of 1000s of connections, you're going to have long lists
of TIME_WAITs

o is there some pathelogical condition you haven't told us about?

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx