R: busy servers & time_wait connections

To: "'Joseph Mack'" <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>, <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: R: busy servers & time_wait connections
From: <ilclaudio@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 00:05:20 +0200
Yes, during our tests we?ve seen that there are some problems on real
servers.
When the number of requests redirected to each server exceed a certain
threshold, the sustained rate of the system suddenly collapses.
When this happens the CPU utilization of the system is almost 100%, the
real server is overloaded and it seems waiting for any system resources
to free themselves.
We?ve increased the number of  per-process file descriptors, the total
number of file descriptors, the ip port range, and so on?but the problem
still remains.
We've found  an old Internet-draft: ?Avoiding the TCP_WAIT state at busy
servers? (T.Faber, J.Touch, W. Yue).
It deals about the problem of the accumulation of connections in the
?TCP_WAIT? state and it explains that ?servers that have many TCP
connections in TIME_WAIT state experience performance degradation, and
can collapse?.
In this document they present the results of their tests showing a 50%
improvement of HTTP connection rate.
This is why we are trying to reduce the number of connections in that
state, not only for aesthetics :-)
I?m not sure this is the problem, but it could be.

claudio         :-)