Re: LVS_NAT stopping translation in the middle of a session?

Subject: Re: LVS_NAT stopping translation in the middle of a session?
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 06:31:50 -0400
Jeremy Kusnetz wrote:

> Thanks for responding.  It's definitely not a LVS issue.  We've narrowed it
> down to TCP hanging where there is a long series of "AAAAA"s sent outbound.
> Doesn't matter where it's going to.  I'm guessing it's some sort of weird T1
> issue or something.

There is a problem with T1 routers that can't send a long series of (I think)
zeroes.
There is a version of ping that will send a string of bits as part of the ping,
which you can test this problem (no packets will come back).
This most often is a problem with gifs (the
site's webpages won't have any images). This happened at one place I worked
and was just a matter of setting some parameter in the router. I remember the
problem was easy to track down once we figured out what was going on, but
a search of google with "router gif ping zero problem T1" doesn't find anything.
(Maybe it's not a problem anymore). Router people should know.

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx