Re: Some general questions about LVS.

Subject: Re: Some general questions about LVS.
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:42:51 +0900
On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 08:44:28PM -0700, Jason Manin wrote:
> 2. Round-robin DNS. I know that there is a caching
> issue with DNS. But isn't that mainly an issue for
> Windows clients? Most Unix systems won't cache DNS
> unless they are running a local name caching daemon.

No it is an issue for everyone. Almost all DNS servers
do caching. As to many proxy servers. So unless you
are making direct connections to a given service _and_
talking to its authorative name server then you are in trouble.

> 3. How stable is LVS? I have seen a lot of great
> comments about it. Has anyone had stability problems
> with LVS?

Very stable.

> 4. Is there a reason why UDP wouldn't work well with
> LVS? What UDP services other than DNS, which was noted
> to work in the HOWTO?, are have been verified to work?

UDP works. But as you would understand UDP is connectionless
and often used for very short connections (e.g. DNS) which
limits how useful LVS can be.

> 5. The hidden ARP patch. Why do I need to set echo "1"
> > /proc/sys/ipv4/conf/all/hidden AND then echo "1" >
> /proc/sys/ipv4/conf/lo/hidden? What is the all for?
> Does that just turn on the hidden ARP code? What
> happens if I set all/hidden to 1 and leave lo/hidden
> (and all other dev/hidden)?

echo 1 > /proc/sys/ipv4/conf/all/hidden
Is a global parameter. It allows the kernel to have hidden interfaces.
That is interfaecs that don't respond to arp packets for its addresses.
If you don't set this then you can't hide any interfaces. Once it
is set you can then hide/not-hide interfaces individually. By default
they are all not-hidden so you need to hide the ones that you want
to be hidden.

echo 1 > /proc/sys/ipv4/conf/lo/hidden
sets the lo interface as hidden.

--