Some general questions about LVS.

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Some general questions about LVS.
From: Jason Manin <jasonm3430@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 20:44:28 -0700 (PDT)
I have been reading the LVS mini-HOWTO and the HOWTO,
as well as installing LVS in a test network, and I
think I have the hang of it. However, I'd like to ask
some questions.

1. I would like to test the service on the VIP from
the director. I can only do this with LVS-NAT correct?
Let's say I want to test HTTP with lynx on the
director:

$ lynx http://virtual-ip

That will work with LVS-NAT, but not with LVS-DR or
LVS-TUN, right? So I have to test from a remote host
then for LVS-DR and LVS-TUN?

2. Round-robin DNS. I know that there is a caching
issue with DNS. But isn't that mainly an issue for
Windows clients? Most Unix systems won't cache DNS
unless they are running a local name caching daemon.

3. How stable is LVS? I have seen a lot of great
comments about it. Has anyone had stability problems
with LVS?

4. Is there a reason why UDP wouldn't work well with
LVS? What UDP services other than DNS, which was noted
to work in the HOWTO?, are have been verified to work?

5. The hidden ARP patch. Why do I need to set echo "1"
> /proc/sys/ipv4/conf/all/hidden AND then echo "1" >
/proc/sys/ipv4/conf/lo/hidden? What is the all for?
Does that just turn on the hidden ARP code? What
happens if I set all/hidden to 1 and leave lo/hidden
(and all other dev/hidden)?

That's all for now!