What is the IP address of responses via LVS DR?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: What is the IP address of responses via LVS DR?
From: SAMPATHKUMAR KISHORE KANIYAR <sampatki@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 15:40:01 +0530 (IST)
  LVS folks,

  I am new to LVS, and have been configuring and using LVS and learning
  how LVS works.

  I have a question about LVS-DR. Look at the following configuration:

                                    A  ---------------
                    ------------------| LOAD BALANCER |
                   |                   ---------------
                   |                          | A'
                   |                          |
                   |                          |
                   |                      --------
                   |             --------| Switch |-------
                   |            |         --------        |
                   |            |                         |
                   |            | B'                      | C'
                   |        ----------                 ----------
                   |       | SERVER 1 |               | SERVER 2 |
                   |        ----------                 ----------
                   |            | B                       | C
                  _____         |                         |
                 /     \        |                         |
  --------      /       \       |                         |
 | CLIENT |----| Gateway |---------------------------------
  --------      \       /
                 \_____/

  I have indicated the N/W inteface cards for the Load balancer and
  the Servers by A, A', B, B' and C, C' respectively.

  Also, let us say the IP address for N/W interface card A on Load
  balancer is configured to the Virtual IP: VIP.

  When the Client request to VIP is directed by the load balancer to
  Server 1 (say), my understanding is that it is received by
  Server 1 on N/W interface card B', which will have a loopback
  alias interface configured with IP address VIP.

  I have 2 questions about Server 1 "responding" to the "client":
  1) Server 1 responds to the CLIENT on N/W interface card B, right?
  2) If so, what is the IP address returned in the response packet?
     Isn't it the IP address configured for N/W interface card B,
     which is -not- VIP? But, the client knows/expects only VIP.

  Can someone clarify?

  Thanks,
  - Kishore