Failover signaling + hot standby

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Failover signaling + hot standby
From: kakani@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 07:12:32 -0500
Hi All,

I am new to this list. Did explored the archive a bit to find some information
that I am looking for but could not find it. So writing this mail..

I've been evaluating high-availability solutions for one of my company's
product. This product (a Wireless TCP Gateway - WTCP), a optimization of TCP for
wireless links. The product is still in development phase. As a proof of concept
I have to build a complete gateway with hardware, high availability, Hot stand
by (maintaining the connection status), and load balancing.

I've been looking at HP's HA service software and its features. Also I looked at
some of the Cisco content switches which provide such features. Let me come
straight to the questiones,

1. How is the fail-over signaling mechanism for LVS or related technologies. For
HP HA service, it provide a hardware, application or network failure signal on
which appropriate action can be taken. So the failure could be the network
adapter, it could be application running on that server, or it could be the
failure of some link on the path of server which blocks traffic to and fro from
the server. As far as I can understand, the LVS (and the ultramonkey.org)
provides heartbeat mechanism for failover signaling. I would like to know if it
supports the hardware/device/application/link failure signaling?

2. I read some of the papers on ultramonkey.org which kind of talks about
providing active-active (hot standby) with state maintainance. I am not sure if
that is applicable to LVS also? Is is really possible to provide hot standby
using LVS? By hot standby I mean when the active gateway fails, it should
transfer the control to the standby server, and the standby server should be
able to handle all the maintain the current TCP connections (so the client does
not actually re-initiate connection).

Would really appreciate someone's comments/asnwers for this.

THanks,
GC