Re: Failover signaling + hot standby

Subject: Re: Failover signaling + hot standby
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 07:43:49 -0500
kakani@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am new to this list. Did explored the archive a bit to find some information
> that I am looking for but could not find it. So writing this mail..
>
> I've been evaluating high-availability solutions for one of my company's
> product. This product (a Wireless TCP Gateway - WTCP), a optimization of TCP
> for
> wireless links. The product is still in development phase. As a proof of
> concept
> I have to build a complete gateway with hardware, high availability, Hot stand
> by (maintaining the connection status), and load balancing.

sounds fun, are you looking for help too :-)

> 1. How is the fail-over signaling mechanism for LVS or related technologies.

LVS is just the load balancer. Failure and high load detection are all external
to LVS (the modular approach). Two packages are being used with LVS for failover

Linux-HA
vrrpd

Members of the development teams are on this mailing list and will be able to
fill you in on the details (I see Horms has just replied).

tcp state information is saved by the active director and propagated to the
backup
director(s) every 200mS. The only state saved is ESTABLISHED, the other
states taking care of themselves after a failover. Any lost packets following
a failover will be handled by retries.

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx