Re: [OT] [Troll ?] RE: Virtual Interfaces?

Subject: Re: [OT] [Troll ?] RE: Virtual Interfaces?
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 15:16:54 +0100
Hi,

ah. So I can do failover without having to up/down an IP? I can have
the IP on the machine all the time (with demons listening to that IP)
and just change the link state?

Theoretically :).

how does a demon bind to a non-local IP? Do you mean to an IP on another
machine? How will the demon ever get packets for that IP?

/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_nonlocal_bind is your friend in that situation.
And sometimes application level proxies run that way. For example you
can configure the SuSE ftp-proxy to work in fully transparent mode.

I almost threw up the first time I was presented with ip/tc a couple years ago.

It's still unscriptable

Hmm, I doubt it ...

The output of `ip addr show` gives the MAC brd formatted with colons eg

ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

I then needed to feed the brd to some command that needed the brd without
colons

ffffffffffff

So?

First: What's the difference between ifconfig and ip regarding your
described problem?
Second: What's wrong with the following command line?

awk '/ether/ {print gensub(":","","G",$4)}' < <(ip link show dev eth0)

This looks very much scriptable to me :)

I'll have another couple of beers now. Merry X-Mas,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq'|dc