Re: LVS-DR + public/private routes

Subject: Re: LVS-DR + public/private routes
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:41:34 -0500
David Sinck wrote:

> I figured it might be from the private-RIP trying to go out the
> private-gw but I tried some routing mayhem and got the default gateway
> on the private link to be the 68.xx.xx.161 but still no proper
> response from the server in question.
>
> So, my questions are:
>
> 1) Can LVS-DR handle private addresses?  (assume yes)

yes, it's the preferred way of doing it.

> 2) Can LVS-DR handle a mix of private and public addresses?

you don't need public addressese on the realservers (except for the VIP
on lo). You can put them on the realservers but they'll have nothing
to do with the LVS, so yes, as long as you handle the routing.

If you want public addresses, it's only for a 3-Tier LVS

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.3-Tier.html

> 3) If I set up a purely private LVS-DR, what should I do for
>    private-ip routing?

you don't route private IPs. The RIPs and DIP will exchange packets
without you doing anything special.

> I've read docs that seem to indicate that as
>    long as you're on the same segment it shouldn't really care if
>    you're gateway'd at all or not.

"you're" not a gateway, one of the machines is.

For LVS-DR the gateway is another machine, not the director, on the
same network as the VIP. The only packets leaving the realservers
to the outside world are from the VIP, not from the RIPs.

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx