RE: LVS-NAT GigE internal network director question.

To: "'lvs@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: LVS-NAT GigE internal network director question.
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 10:27:51 -0800
> Am I going to have any problems on the director doing this kind of
> buffering?  I figure it could probably handle it better then
> the switch
> could.  Am I right?

You'll definitely have problems once you get past 100mb, it's just a
question of what kind ;-).  How much RAM do you have on your director?  Do
you have any DOS etc. controls?

If I were you I'd just pick up a dual Gig-E now (dual i1000) and keep
running at 100mb feed from your provider until you get to ~85-90mb
asynchronous.  No sense in taking down the server twice for < $200
difference if you are talking about filling 100mb or 1 gigabit ethernet on a
business server.  Besides, i1000's are the best and the duals take up less
64-bit slots.  (You do have 64-bit slots, right?)

---