RE: [OT] Dell PERC raid cards. Was: request for comments

Subject: RE: [OT] Dell PERC raid cards. Was: request for comments
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 09:44:57 -0700
> We're running the 1750 as the primary production webserver,
> and haven't had
> any real issues that I could attribute to the hardware.  It's
> only been up
> 41 days though.  I'll be avoiding any poweredge with the
> megaraid chipset in the future.

Sounds like the driver has matured for it.  I've never heard of issues with
Windows servers and this controller.  Maybe it will have a story like the
old 3coms - once the driver works around the issues it is not a bad piece of
hardware.

> 1. http://linux.dell.com/storage.shtml
> 2. in addition to finding a module for the RAID controller, I
> had to grab
> the network controller driver module from broadcomm as well
> -- there is no support for it in redhat 7.3.

Annoying isn't it?  The default kernel doesn't have any useful support, but
for later kernel revisions I strongly recommend the tigon3 (tg3) driver.
D.Miller and a number of the kernel guys seem to recommend that version.

BTW instead of RH7.3 you should look at RH-EL, or
http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/.

Cheers,

---